Friday, December 20, 2013

Storing Up

I'm discovering so much about myself right now.  Side note confession: I've always seen giving as an easy thing. In fact, it's on my spiritual gift list.  But what I've found is that I like to give when it's on my terms in my way.

 I don't have trouble writing a big check for Compassion, but I sometimes struggle to give my kids a little one-on-one time and want them to just go to their rooms for... a few hours.

I love to send people gifts in the mail, but some times I struggle to let go of the special book that's on my shelf... that yeah, I'll probably never read again.

I hold onto clothes I like, even though I haven't worn it for two years. I have a gorgeous crimson party dress hanging in my closet.  I've worn it once, but have never had occasion to wear it again; still, I hold on.

Today I've been letting go of a few things, stifling those "but, maybe one day I'll use it... or need it for this... or that."  The more I let go and give away, the less "these things" have power over me.  And it amazes me, how many things in my house hold me? What more can I let go of?  What "want" in my house can meet someone else's need? 


Matthew 6

20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment