Thursday, November 14, 2013

Oyamel Fir Tree

Perhaps you've heard of the migratory flight of monarch butterflies. Since they can't survive the harsh cold of winter, they travel, miles stacked on miles to reach the central part of Mexico, and they cling together on the Oyamel Fir trees, protecting each other from the colder nights.  It's how they stay alive.
This morning I was reading to Landon in a butterfly book and this natural phenomenon struck me.  I almost laughed to myself.  With Seasonal Affective Disorder starting to hit hard now, that's what I need in the winter.  

I need my own Oyamel tree. 

 My creative mind didn't stop there; if I were to start a winter support group for S.A.D. sufferers and young mom's enduring cabin fever, I'd call it The Oyamel Tree. 

Because we all need each other.  After major loss, the fear of further loss seeps in and deceives you into believing you'd be better off alone. Independence! It feels safer.But it's a deception. 

We aren't protected from pain, we are more vulnerable to it.

Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (Ecc. 4:12)

So the next time you are tempted to stand alone, remember what the monarchs already know: isolation brings death. When the Lord created the Body (His Church), it wasn't just for the world, it was for us.  He knew we'd need one another.  
So, let's create a safe place; find your oyamel tree group. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just read your text. I liked it. I live in central México and I like planting these trees. They are very special, they dont grow anywhere.
    If you want you can visit my blog
    pensandoyplantando.blogspot.mx
    I have some oyamel Photos in the first entry in this blog. See you

    ReplyDelete