Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Gracing with Words

Lesson #4: Give out compliments freely.
"Deb, you have such a pretty face. You should be on a Christmas card!" 

One thing Buddy does incredibly well is dole out compliments. As the movie progresses, the number of positive things Buddy says about other people is actually pretty amazing. The quote above references only one of the times he compliments his father's assistant and, from her reaction, you know his words made her day. I find that I often have complimentary thoughts, but I don't always say them aloud. Making the effort not only to see the positive in others, but to tell them about it as well, can have a very powerful impact on your social interactions.
More life lessons from Buddy the Elf.


Monday's challenge was to pay everyone a sincere compliment or word of thanks.  It wasn't challenging to offer up compliments or thanks until I got to Walmart that afternoon. As I was checking out, I wondered how I could say more than just "thank you" as I pushed my cart away.  Ah, the heck with awkward; isn't making someone's day more important than being slightly embarrassed? So, I started talking to the checker, asking Rebecca when she got off work and then I told her I appreciated all she did, "It's not an easy job, I know. Thank you."  As the silence stretched across us, I felt my face start to flush.  She looked at me and said, "Thank you for saying that. I don't think anyone has ever told me that before."  

As I left Walmart, I felt a small victory in overcoming my avoid-the-socially-awkward moments, for isn't life far more important than how we feel in the presence of others and their feelings?  Why not make someone's day? 

Today's challenge: Day 4--please jump in with me. 

Day #1: Give a gift in secret.
Day #2: Give an extra-long hug.
Day #3: Give everyone you meet a compliment or a sincere word of appreciation.
Day #4: Give someone a dozen homemade cookies (neighbor, friend, teacher, pastor, etc.)
Day #5: Give an old friend a letter/card.
Day #6: Give a needy child a toy for Christmas.
Day #7: Give away some favorite clothes or books--not just the rejects.
Day #8: Give a child the gift of time. Color with them or read to them.
Day #9: Give every widow or orphan you know a note of encouragement.
Day #10: Give another Mom a break and offer to babysit.
Day #11: Give the gift of hope (donate to World Vision, Compassion, etc.)
Day #12: Give thanks for the greatest Gift of all--Our LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment