Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Let It Rain

How natural it is for us to attempt to put human cloth on an infinite God.  We can't really grasp these ideas of all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good, all-love, etc.  Because everyone else we know has limits.  So, we look at what God says about Himself (and us) and we do what any normal human does--we doubt.  

Really?  Do you really love me?

Haven't I already shown you?  Haven't I said it over and over and over again? 



This year I need to study God as Love.  I know I won't be able to fully comprehend it, but I need to dive into the waters and swim a little further out.  How deep, how wide, how far does it stretch?   

For really, if I understood His love better, wouldn't I trust Him more fully?   

So, I've started reading verses that address His wondrous love for us.  I'm just beginning to go through them, so I'm still in Psalms.  But one theme that keeps presenting itself is this: his love does not falter or fade or fail.  (Ps. ^:4, 

Unlike us, his love doesn't grow impatient or weary.  He doesn't grow tired of us and want us to "just go away."  His love is ALWAYS kind.  He doesn't use us, manipulate us, or yell cruel words at us.  
His is the I Corinthians 13 kind of love: 

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end. (Message)



I want to feel overwhelmed by His love again; I want to know that His love is sufficient and looking for it elsewhere is a cracked wasteland of failed attempts. But his love pours, 
and pours,
 and pours 
over my dry soul.


Psalm 33:22 Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
    even as we hope in you.
For further reading on God's view of us, check out this story.



No comments:

Post a Comment