Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Piece of Cake?

When I'm pregnant my blood sugar tends to swoop way down if I don't eat a lot of protein with my carbs. And if I just sit and eat a piece of cake, oh boy, my insulin kicks into overdrive and I nearly pass out.  Steady, healthy, and constant are words I apply to my diet right now.

And this year, especially in the last few months, I've had a stronger craving for another kind of food--spiritual food.  As my mom has said in the past, I've become spiritually anorexic, naively assuming that a little nibble here and there would sustain me.

I was listening to the radio a few weeks back and someone, perhaps it was Max Lucado (I just don't remember), commented on the skewed perspective we Christians (especially this generation) have on the Scriptures.  We shouldn't view it as an occasional indulgence--a piece of cake--but as a constant daily bread.

Matthew 4:4 But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Am I always going to walk away saying, "that was the best meal ever!"  or "Wow, I've never tasted anything like that before"?  No, not likely.  But that isn't the point.  Reading God's Words isn't about "the experience" or an emotional high.  It's about feeding our minds truth.  Remembering what is right, and good, and real... in a world that bombards us with lies all day.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

So, if you feel like you've been living on a few crumbs for a couple days and are getting irritable, try going back to the Source and His words.  Look for some solid protein and chew thoroughly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment