Monday, March 5, 2012

Fighting for Perspective



Keeping our sights on the eternal and remembering our true purpose takes effort. In fact, for me, I have to fight to remember every single moment of the day--what is important and what is not. Aside from Christ and His light shining through us to others, everything else is superfluous. Although we can honor God through these venues, ultimately none of it matters by itself: having a fulfilling career, saving money, keeping a clean house, completing my to-do list, preparing dinner on time, having down time, exercise, etc. Not bad stuff obviously, but all of it (and so much more) can get in the way of me loving God and others. And I can so easily get wrapped up in what it means to be a privileged (aka spoiled) American, entitled to live a certain way.

Ultimately, we've been promised nothing in Christ other than His abiding love and our eternal security. I'm not promised comfort (just the opposite if I'm really pursuing His glory).

How easy it is to forget the answer to the question, "Why am I here?"

Life is about daily sacrifice, service, giving, praying, remembering, and being an overflowing vessel of His love to others. We are here because we are supposed to be His light.

So fight with me today (Mondays seem to be especially hard, don't they?) to remember and to chase after His purposes and not our own.

Matthew 5
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment