Tuesday, February 21, 2012

His

Since my family and I have moved our church membership elsewhere in town, we've experienced some beautiful transition time. Although it's not always been comfortable, we are beginning to see more and more that God's bride is not isolated to one congregation (let alone the whole denomination debate). Of course, we knew that already, but when you step outside your comfort zone and worship/learn with other believers, it makes me all the more excited about heaven and all the diverse cultures, styles, and methods people used to build community and faith. No, I don't believe every "type" of believer will be there; but I do believer people can follow Jesus in different ways (same Message, different method).

Thankfully, our previous congregation (I guess I could call them all "little c" churched and not the Church) graciously blessed us on our way and still "includes" us as part of the fellowship of believers. But sadly, many people don't experience this type of understanding. They are shunned and rejected as if they had abandoned the faith. And it saddens me, because of course, we're all spending eternity together. How sad to isolate and show partiality to those who "do what we do," "go where we go," and "look the way we look." And I think of Paul wandering around, never really having a "church home" but always calling the congregations within each city his beloved, his brothers and sisters.
I wish we could get back to a deeper understanding of the Church, setting aside the denominational boxes, setting aside the competition and envy, and rejoicing with one another in all things.

Deut 10:17

"The great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality …'

2 Chron. 19:7

"For with the LORD our God there is no injustice or partiality…"

Job 34:19

[God] "who shows no partiality …"

Acts 10:34

"I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism"

Romans 2:11

"For God does not show favoritism."

Galatians 2:6

"As for those who seemed to be important--whatever they weremakes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance."

Ephesians 6:9

"and there is no favoritism with him."

Colossians 3:25

"… and there is no favoritism."

1 Peter 1:17

"Since you call on a Father who judges each man's workimpartially …"

1 comment: