Monday, January 16, 2012

Mercies

As some of you already know, I'm currently going through Beth Moore's study of James, Mercy Triumphs. The discussion times and video series conjure deeper meaning, but the one-on-one time every day has been precious too.

I'm learning a lot about mercy and what it looks like to be merciful. Frankly put, I need to learn some things about this necessary fruit of God's Spirit. Without it, we're just a bunch of hypocrites.

I've been trying to listen more, find out how God wants me to show mercy. One thing she noted last week in our viewing time involved the art of noticing people. Distinguish people by paying attention to them, listening to them, granting them your love.

And then I read Jesus' words out of Matthew 9 today, and these verses hooked me and wouldn't release. "Freely you received, so freely give."

How much did I give you? Everything
How much should you extend to others? Everything
Freely Give as you were freely given too.

God has been humbling me by showing me all the times I chose who I'm going to give to, who I'm going to "grant my favor," "acknowledge their presence," and just play favorites.

"Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure-- pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return." Luke 6:38

No comments:

Post a Comment