Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Worry-free Wednesdays

In honor of those who breathe easier with routine, I am going to have a couple of weekly-themed posts on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I pray that this blog is a blessing to you, granting you a few moments of rest and redirecting your thoughts to a more godly perspective. May He continue to work in you what He started.

As is customary, I am currently reading five different books right now. One of them, The Power of Positive Thinking, has given me some encouraging tidbits to practice. The chapter, "How to Break the Worry Habit," has a 10-point "formula" for bringing our minds to more faithful truths. I'll just share a few of them today.

1. You became a worrier by practicing worry. You can become free of worry by practicing the opposite and stronger habit of faith.
2. Pray, "I place this day, my life, my loved ones, my work in the Lord's hands. There is no harm in the Lord's hands, only good. Whatever happens, whatever results, if I am in the Lord's hands I am taken care of and His grace is sufficient." (modifications)
3. One reason you are a worrier is that your mind is literally saturated with apprehensive thoughts, defeat, and gloom. To counteract, mark every passage in your Bible that speaks of faith, hope, happiness, glory, radiance. Commit each to memory. Say them over and over again until these thought saturate your subconscious mind. Then your subconscious will return to what you name it, optimism, not worry (Peale 124).

Here are a few that I have put to memory that have helped me with anxiety:
"The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you. Do not fear nor be dismayed." Deut. 31:8

"The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; of whom shall I dread?"

"Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Is. 41:10

"...He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul." Ps. 23: 2b

No comments:

Post a Comment