Tuesday, May 26, 2015

As Oceans Demonstrate

"The seas have lifted up, O LORD, 
the seas have lifted up their voice;
the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.

Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea--
the LORD on high is mighty.
Psalm 93:3-4 (emphasis mine)

 Last week we rested at my favorite spot--the Gulf Coast. Nothing quite overwhelms and restores me like sitting on the beach and watching the waves ride and crash and push back to sea again. The picture reminds me of God's faithfulness. Despite what is going on around me, He continues on.

At church on Sunday, a friend commented on our time away, "Isn't the beach the best place to worship? It's a great image of His love."  So deep. So wide. So expansive. We can't see the edges of it; it goes beyond our vision.  I love that idea too; may it truly sink into my spirit and change my perception of God's love. It doesn't have human limitations.

Ephesians 3:18, "And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is."

In Ted Dekker's novel, A.D. 30, a character explains that it's not enough that we understand God or His love. We must trust it.

                   "It is to trust. Not only to believe, for surely even the devil believes the truth and trembles. But to trust...that is everything!" (332) 
When I truly surrender all trust to Him (and not to myself, my bank account, my family, my country, etc.), then my life knows no boundaries. I am not burdened by fear or hate or insecurity, because I trust Him to do what is most loving and sufficient in my life. What a freedom!

“Strength of my heart, I need not fail,
Not mind to fear but to obey,
With such a Leader, who could quail?
Thou art as Thou wert yesterday.
Strength of my heart, I rest in Thee,
Fulfil Thy purposes through me.” 
― Amy Carmichael

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment