Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Peace, Attendeth My Soul

Let's face it, life hasn't thrown me much peace lately.  You?  I doubt it.  Rarely do we find peace in our circumstances. Someone once said, we are either just getting out of a storm, getting ready to face one, or we are in the midst of one already.

When I get overwhelmed or anxious, my natural tendency is to take control.  I conjure up this illusion through planning and research.  Knowledge is on my side, right? But it seems like the more I read about how to confront and control a situation, the more worried I become about it.
 "How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?"
Galatians 3:3

I am starting to see (and practice) that the knowledge I already possess frees me the most from my future "what-if's."

I have to get back to restating my understanding of who God is.

Peace doesn't come through "the facts" of my circumstances, but through the truth of my great God.

Linda Dillow's book, Satisfy My Thirsty Soul, discusses the importance of worship.  It's not through research about God, but praising who He is that we find restoration for our weary spirits.  She encourages readers to do something I've put into practice for several years.  Tagging it the "ABC's" of praise, she goes through each letter of the alphabet, ascribing an attribute of God's character that matches that letter.

It's incredible how peace starts to rush into my soul when I get my eyes off my foggy future, my weak abilities, and my anxious planning, and remind myself of who God is.

A--Almighty (nothing is too hard for You)!
B--Blessed One (under no one else are we saved)
C--Counselor (you are the one who restores my soul and brings me into all truth)
D--Deliver, Defender (you are my Rock)
E--Eternal One  (nothing is beyond you)
F--Forever faithful (I will never be abandoned or rejected by you--you always want to be with me)
G--Good, Gracious, Generous,  (I rest in this)

I don't know what aspects of God's nature comfort you the most. I love to think of the Lord as our Prince of Peace and the Bright and Morning Star but for my personality, I rest more in God's ability and power.  So, when I feel especially anxious and I want to just go in and "fix" my dilemmas, I start reminding myself through worship.

God, you are my Protector, my Deliver, the Almighty Warrior, my Strong Tower, the King of all kings.  Nothing can withstand your power.  Mountains quiver, demons tremble, and every knee will bow at the mention of your great name.  You are Savior, my savior. I can trust you.

When I put my thoughts and energies in His direction, the truth of Who HE Is overwhelms the thoughts of "what if," and I find peace in Him.

“O Sovereign LORD! You have made the heavens and earth by Your great power. Nothing is too hard for You!” (Jeremiah 32:17)




No comments:

Post a Comment