Saturday, June 25, 2011

Walking Naked

I'm sure the title captured your attention. No, this post is not about nudists or immodest dress, but rather, a condition of the spirit--letting your soul run naked.

If you grew up in my household, Ephesians 6:13-17 would be familiar text to you. Although we weren't raised Pentecostal, we were taught that the battle was not against flesh and blood but against spiritual forces. We were told to "take every thought captive."

"Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. " (Eph. 6:24-18 Message)

None of us would ever (I hope) consider walking out of the house without clothes on, but how many of us actually consider our thoughts? When I get up in the morning, am I clothing myself with truth or lies? Am I making choices out of faith or fear? Do I walk in righteousness or deceit? Often times, the answers to these questions falls in the negative.

Recently, I've been more convicted about my thought life--not that it's awful, but rather that's it's devoid of edification. I've requested the accountability and partnership of my brother and together we're planning to memorize James in a year. I'm excited about the layer of armor those verses are going to cover over me.

I'd also encourage you to keep "your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace" (vs. 15).

1 comment:

  1. I love you sister! I thank God for your wonderful heart and passion. :D

    ReplyDelete