Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mind over Emotion

The will is like a wise mother in a nursery; the feelings are like a set of clamoring, crying children. The mother makes up her mind to a certain course of action which she believes to be right and best. The children clamor against it and declare it shall not be. But the mother, knowing that she is mistress and not they, pursues her course lovingly and calmly in spite of all their clamors; and the result is that the children are sooner or later won over to the mother's course of action and fall in with her decisions, and all is harmonious and happy. But if that mother should for a moment let in the thought that the children were the real masters instead of herself, confusion would reign unchecked. And in how many souls at this very moment is there nothing but confusion, simply because the feelings are allowed to govern instead of the will?

It is not the feelings of man that God wants, but the man himself.

Prayer: Lord, thou seest that with my emotions I love this sin, but in my real central self I hate it. Until now my emotions have had the mastery; but now I put my will into Thy hands and give it up to Thy working. I will never again consent in my will to yield to this sin. Take possession of my will and work in me to will and to do of Thy good pleasure.

Taken from Hannah Whitall Smith's book, The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life

No comments:

Post a Comment