Thursday, September 9, 2010

Abandoned to Him

I'm currently reading Hannah Whitall Smith's The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life, originally published in 1875. Her words sink deep and I feel as if I must take several minutes to digest each paragraph.

In chapter four, she urges believers to fully abandon themselves (consecrate) to the Lord and joyfully proclaim, "thy will be done." She often utilizes analogies to convey her point more applicable. In so doing, she shares this story:

A Christian lady who had this feeling [all that's left for me to do is trust God] was once expressing to a friend how impossible she found it to say, "They will be done," and how afraid she should be to do it. She was the mother of an only little boy, who was the heir to a great fortune and the idol of her heart. After she shared her difficulties fully, her friend said, 'Suppose your little Charley should come running to you tomorrow and say, "Mother, I have made up my mind to let you have your own way with me from this time forward. I am always going to obey you, and I want you to do just whatever you think best for me. I will trust your love." How would you feel toward him? Would you say to yourself, "Ah now, I shall have a chance to make Charley miserable. I will take away all his pleasures and fill his life with every hard and disagreeable thing that I can find. I will compel him to do just the things that are the most difficult for him to do and will give him all sorts of impossible commands." ' "Oh no, no, no!" exclaimed the mother. "You know I would not. I would hug him to my heart and cover him with kisses and would hasten to fill his life with a all that was sweetest and best." "And are you more tender and more loving than God?" asked her friend. "Ah no!" was the reply. "I see my mistake. Of course I must not be any more afraid of saying, 'Thy will be done,' to my heavenly Father, than I would want Charley to be of saying to me" (47).

Smith also encourages us through a picture of a child playing peacefully in the home. Imagine the parent's sadness if the child was constantly worried and fearful of her needs being met. But our children don't do that; they don't think about where their clothes, food, or needs will come from. They don't worry about whether we will remember to kiss them goodnight or celebrate their special days. We to should understand that our Father desires us to rest, knowing full well that He is more than capable of taking care of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment